When you speak and affirm, you are creating a verbal contract with yourself. These intentions helped me transform my life, and I believe they will help you too. Reflect on them often.
“Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your own career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass. Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.”
— Max Ehrmann, Desiderata
33 Meditations of Positive Intention
- Love and kindness will be my greatest talents.
- I will have true love, health, wealth, abundance and longevity.
- I will know myself, love myself, develop myself and protect myself.
- I will continually seek to understand, know and sympathize with my fellow man.
- I will strive to cultivate the positive, and will resist indulging in negativity.
- I will not judge people, and I will remember we are all frail students of the world.
- I will be polite, courteous, and respectful of people and their views.
- I will listen deeply to what all people have to say, and they will be my teachers.
- I will continue to strengthen my resources so that I may have them to share with others in need.
- I will freely share my time and resources with people.
- I will take without forgetting, and give without remembering.
- I will reach out to people, not only financially, but also emotionally.
- I will use my resources, talents, gifts and determination in creative ways to solve other people’s problems.
- I will teach others, through example, that much can be done with little, if you only have the desire.
- I will live my dream, not dream it.I will live it with morals and live it with a heart that’s kind, and not judgmental, vain or conceited.
- I believe in the quest for the illumination of self, and then the world, through the simple, humble, almighty, supreme virtue of love.
- I believe in seeking, protecting and accentuating that which is innocent, good and beautiful.
- I believe in individual freedom, freedom of speech, freedom of belief and freedom of association.
- I believe in ethical living by never harming others on the inside or outside.
- I believe in world peace, harmony and being at ease with ourselves, our environment, and other members of our human family.
- I believe in helping all people abandon fear, outer attachments, and dependence on man-made constructs by looking INWARD, toward the DIRECT SOURCES of personal truth; a quiet communion with that which only YOU can know as truth.
- I believe every person is a luminous being of unlimited potential; a unique CREATOR, whose creative emanations radiate and project forward, as original SOURCE contributions and gifts to the World.
- I believe in the absolute and unfettered sovereignty and freedom of each soul; that no flesh and blood, man or woman, except by the bonds of will or contract, shall have ANY Earthly master exert dominion, power or control over their free will.
- I believe in choosing people over ideas, and in the reality of human commonality.
- I believe in service and easing the burdens of others, and no time is better spent than that spent in the service of your fellow man.
- I believe each person is already equipped with EVERYTHING they need to access purpose, meaning, fulfillment, peace, happiness and abundance.
- I believe all people are worthy of love, and all people deserve to be cherished as unique and beautiful.
- I believe in building a happiness in every heart; in building INWARD, a new world of hope and limitless possibilities for the children of tomorrow, where each soul can reach the heights of their potential to love, and to be loved.
- I believe that every person is precious, and inside, we are still like little children who yearn for acceptance, unconditional love, and the gentle, warm affection that can only come from another soul who is whole enough and generous enough to reach out and give the gift of acceptance and compassion. I will be that person.
- I believe in the overwhelming goodness of most people. The gifts of love and kindness are forces that have the power to change and heal people. How we treat other people can and does change them; equally so, how we treat ourselves can change us.
- I believe in changing MYSELF for the better, and in having my existence proved only by the raised hands of the people I have served, who will say without doubt I have cared.
- I believe in choosing positive over negative; love over hate; trust over suspicion; support over neglect; hope over doubt; and in KNOWING, that ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE.
- Let us subdue the ravages of the baser-self, and aspire to the higher calling of exalting joy through compassion, for that is the one true purpose of humanity.